- What To Expect the First Year. Heidi Murkoff. Advice and answers to common questions about infants from 1 to 12 months of age.
- Dr. Spock’s Baby and Childcare. Benjamin Spock, M.D. A fully revised edition of the classic best seller
- Guide to Your Child’s Symptoms by the American Academy of Pediatrics: The Official, Complete Home Reference, Birth through Adolescence. Donald Schiff, MD and Steven P. Shelov, MD .
- Your Child’s Health: The Parents’ One-Stop Reference Guide to Symptoms, Emergencies, Common Illnesses, Behavior Problems, and Healthy Development: Barton D. Schmitt MD.
- Baby 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for your Baby’s first year Ari Brown and Denise Fields
- Healthy Children Information for parents from the AAP: Healthychildren.org
- KidsHealth is the largest and most-visited site on the Web providing health information about children.Kidshealth.org
- Children’s Hospital of Colorado Thechildrenshospital.org A variety of frequently updated information on children’s health, including a monthly newsletter for parents
- At Healthfinder.gov you will find reliable health information on a wide range of topics.
- Books and a website with information for adolescent girls: Girlology.com
Diet And Nutrition
- Food Fights Winning the Nutritional Challenges of Parenthood Armed with Insight, Humor, and a Bottle of Ketchup. Laura A. Jana, M.D. and Jennifer Shu, M.D., American Academy of Pediatrics
- At Nutrition.gov you will find practical information on healthy eating.
- Solve Your Child’s Sleep Problems. Richard Ferber, M.D.
- The Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep Simple Solutions for Kids from Birth to 5 Years. Harvey Karp, M.D.
- On Becoming Baby Wise. Giving Your Infant the GIFT of Nighttime Sleep. Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam.
- Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child Marc Weissbluth, M.D.
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Judy Torgus, La Leche League International
- The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solving Guide to Breastfeeding. Jack Newman M.D. and Teresa Pitman
- Breastfeeding with Confidence A Practical Guide. Sue Cox
- Breastfeeding A Guide for the Medical Profession. Ruth A. Lawrence
- Ina May’s Guide to Breastfeeding Ina May
- Memorial Hospital Lactation Service – 719-365-5997
- The Happiest Baby on the Block. Harvey Karp M.D.
- The Happiest Toddler on the Block. How to Eliminate Tantrums and Raise a Patient, Respectful, and Cooperative One to Four Year Old. Harvey Karp M.D.
- Siblings Without Rivalry. How To Help Your Children Live Together So You Can Live Too. Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk. Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
Child Care Resources
- Vaccines: What You Should Know. Paul A. Offit, M.D, Louis M. Bell, M.D. Objective information from experts at The Vaccine Education Center, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. The same group regularly puts updated information on their web site. Children’s Hospital of Phildelphia
- The Institute for Vaccine Safety through Johns Hopkins University provides an independent assessment of vaccines and vaccine safety to help guide physicians, parents, and policy makers.Vaccine Safety
- CDC Travel Webstie information for any country in the world, on vaccine recommendations, malaria prophylaxis and outbreaks. CDC Travel
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD): is a national organization providing education, advocacy, and support for individuals with ADHD. CHADD
- Another national resource center for ADHD is at Help4ADHD
- More information on ADHD can be found at the National Center for Learning Disabilities. NCLD
- Driven to Distraction
- Living with Your Child with ADHD
- Colorado Literacy & Learning Center 719-227-0026
- The Hill Springs Learning Center 719-576-3840
- Learning Services Therapy Program at Children’s Hospital of Colorado, Sites at Aurora and Pueblo. 720-777-6250
- For more information go the the International Dyslexia Association (IDA) website.
- Families may also want to connect with the Rocky Mountain Branch of the IDA
- Bright Solutions for Dyslexia Susan Burton
Special Needs Children
- The Resource Exchange is the umbrella organization for developmentally disabled people in El Paso County. The Resource Exchange
- Early Intervention Colorado provides services for developmentally disabled children under age 3 719-365-5244 Early Intervention Colorado
- The ARC of Colorado is a resource for families and people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Arc of Colorado 303-864-9334. The Colorado Springs affiliate is ARC of the Pikes Peak region 719-471-4800.
- The Children’s Hospital Colorado Child Development Clinic provides evaluations for developmental and behavioral problems. 720-777-6630
- Children’s Hospital Colorado provides comprehensive care for children with Down Syndrome at the SIE Center. 720-777-6750
- Children’s Hospital Colorado provides comprehensive care for children with Fragile X at their clinic. 720-777-8361
- Sites for Neuropsychoeducational Testing
- The Neuroconnection 719-575-0357
- Linda Thede PsyD 719-473-9200
- Marcia Braden PhD 719-633-3733
- The NeuroAssessment Center,LLC John Drozd, PhD. 719-487-7943
- JFK Partners Autism and Developmental Disabilities Clinic 303-724-7643
- University of Denver, The Clinic for Child and Family Psychology 303-871-3306
- Books for Parents
- Seizures and Epilepsy in Childhood: A Guide for Parents. John M. Freeman MD, Eileen P.G. Vining MD, Diana J. Pillas.
- Children with Cerebral Palsy: A Parent’s Guide. Elaine Geralis.
- Poisoning and Overdose:
- Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug CenterSpeak directly to a poison control specialist at 800-222-1222
- Car Seat Safety:
- Colorado Child Passenger Safety
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Resources for Domestic Violence, Child Abuse:
- Safe Passage Child Advocacy Center 719-636-2460
- Help for Domestic Violence. Child Abuse:
- TESSA of Colorado Springs 719-633-1462 Help with domestic violence
- Kid’s Crossing 719-632-4569 A resource for children in Foster Care.
- Kidpower 719-520-1311. A resource for bullying
- The Family Center 719-471-1816. A resource for child victims of sexual abuse